Monday, October 1, 2007

i should drop out

I should really drop out of college. I should sing on the streets of some American city and waitress part-time. I should save up and buy a roadside stand and make stuffed naans or burritos. There's a guy with a stand like that on 15th and K in DC, Pedro and Vinny's and he's been there for like a decade. And he banks. Then I could write a book about it.
Out of 6 billion people in the world, I'm in the one-third (or fourth) that has it good. I'm a spoiled piece of junk. I'm clothed, fed, sheltered and I'm getting a higher education. The worst thing to do with luxury like that is to sit around crying about the unsolvable problems on this globe and corner myself into an ivory tower. Yea, that's what's up. Intellectualism without practice is a dead language.

It was just that while I was at the bookstore today, I walked by around 8 books that I knew I wanted to read that I'd probably never get to actually sit down with. I thought about how nice it would be to take a semester off and wake up in the morning (yes, theoretically, the idea of getting up before 10 is fascinating to me), sit down with a coffee, an iced tea, a smoothie, whatever seems appropriate for the climate and to READ. I have time to read, but I don't have time to read everything I want to. I guess no one does. There's no point spending all your time reading.

This summer, I read a lot of fiction and my head started spinning. I decided that I'd make this the semester of non-fiction and biography, in the spirit of equal time. So far, I've been bad about it. I read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and I'm continuing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'm only 1000+ pages away from the end! The only non-fiction thing I've been reading is God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, the funniest angry man I know. When I finish that, on to my homeboy's new release, Giving. It's shorter than My Life.

Kaay, I have to go get some work done!

No comments: